Monday, November 10, 2008

Obama? N!xau? Isn't that the same thing?

I'll be honest and up front. I haven't paid much attention to the pollitical drivel that has been spewing out of the U.S. of late. In fact, I'll be completely up front and say that I never have, even when it was crammed down our throats it school when I lived there for a portion of my life I refer to as "The Wasted Years". You've all seen and heard of The Wonder Years. Well, it's pretty much the same version. Minus the political bull, minus the weird crush called Winnie. The arse hole brother was the same and so was much of the decor.

So when I finally switched on the TV the other day and waited for the vacuum tubes to warm up, I noticed a black man had come into power. I have issues with this, but they're not what you'd think.

Let me explain.... I've grown up in some odd places. I've met lots of odd people. I've never once ever, ever had to think twice about a person based on colour. When I lived in the U.S. I noticed something though. I noticed how there was segregation amongst the multicultural juggernaut called the United States of America.

The blacks dislike the whites and the hispanics. The hispanics disliked the whites and the blacks. The whites were shit scared of both. Amongst these 'colours' were various other races backgrounds and colours that were put into the above three baskets.

Yes, I learnt about racism when I got to the land of the free and the home of the brave. So, it doesn't suprise me one bit that people are making such a big deal about Obama being in power now. The whites are probably freaking out because Hilarious Clinton dropped out of the picture a while back. The hispanics.... They might just run back South of the border and stay low for a few years, and the blacks will become proud of their truimph over white supremacy that have reigned for far too long.

But why does it have to be this way? Can't they just say "Excellent, we have a new president now. Maybe this one has better priorities and will guide us in the right direction."

Maybe.

You want to know what I really think?

I think Obama looks like N!xau. Take a look for yourself.



If you don't know who N!xau is, go to your local video shop and hire out The God's Must be Crazy.

So, with that out of the way, why does all this concern me.

Well, for starters I think there's a lot of hate towards Obama. It might not show by the vote count, but I don't think he's going to be popular for the right reasons.

America, and possibly the world are making too big a deal about the colour of his skin. From experience, I know that racism and the concern for the colour of the skin of the person standing next to you is still of interest. But really, aren't we over that? Aren't we educated enough to understand that people are just people like the rest of us?

I understand the relevance to history as the first black American in power, but who cares? I don't. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase