Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Adelaide - Day 1

I did the dumbest thing. I accidentally wiped my /usr/bin folder from my mail server last night. To top it off, my domain name expired and now I’m down in Adelaide, and you know what? I couldn’t care less.

I was due to head off to South Australia for some work with a friend. I booked a taxi, and we all know how much success I have with taxis. It failed to turn up on two occasions. The third time I called the company. I told them to cancel the taxi, I was going to walk with my luggage to the train station and catch a train to the airport so I don’ miss my flight.Trudging along with my backpack full of electronics and my suitcase in tow I finally reached my train station and only had to wait 5 minutes before the train arrived.

It was running late, then it was cancelled an the next train that was due passed right by without stopping. Thankfully the next train turned up, but it was full. So full that I couldn’t fit in it with my gear as well. So I ran all the way down the end of the train and jumped in the empty carriage. “We’re off!” I thought to myself.

I arrived at the Domestic Sydney terminal and disembarked from the train, walked up the platform and went up to departures. Waited in line for 10 minutes for what was the smoothest part of the journey, checked in, handed over my luggage and walked off to go through security, thanking the girl who looked after me and smiled at her goodbye.

Right, now we’re on a roll. That is, until the usual security stops me for something. My mates think I’ve ripped this line off Bill Bailey’s Bewilderness. But it’s true. Every time I travel, I get pulled up about something. This time I was told to remove everything out of my carry on luggage, ie; My backpack full of laptop, chargers for phones, cameras, external hard drives.

Everything was sent down the X-Ray machine individually until it was cleared and I was asked to put things back and make my way as per normal. No thank you, no nothing. So I stood there, putting my shoes back on, which didn’t send off the sirens. Funnily enough I genuinely think that there’s a picture up of me at the Airport, just like the one at Apple.

I got on the flight and ended up with an isle seat. Except it wasn’t in the isle. It was between the isle and the window.... looking disappointedly towards the window only to discover it was that section of the plane where there is no window. YAY, we all lose.

The flight to Adelaide seemed to take forever. I actually read half way through my book. It’s taken me weeks to through the first couple of chapters, and here I was trying to put it away so it actually lasted the flight.

FINALLY, we landed. The second best part of the journey thus far. The first being take-off. I love take-offs. So much power and acceleration. I’d love to do just that all day.

I’m down in the Adelaide Hills, talking shit, having fun and doing some work as well. I’ve never been to Adelaide, let alone South Australia. It’s an interesting town. The CBD is what Sydney’s CBD use to be like back in the 80’s.

After getting off the plane, I headed straight for a pub lunch in the heart of town. I discovered a place that had a giant sign out the front that said “Worst Vegetarian restaurant in town”. I was in like a shotgun.

Lunch was great. Kangaroo cooked to perfection served on a bed of steamed then fried (read: caramelised) shredded onion/cabbage and a side of apricot chutney.

I’m not really a fan of chutney’s other than tamarind and tomato/onion like my wife makes. But this apricot stuff went so well with the distinct flavours of the roo tail, that I wanted more. But alas, the plate was empty. I was satisfied. The plan was to walk around a little and then have a coffee and a cake before heading out into the hills.

Stopping for fuel and a rest, I turned off to buy some strawberries, apples and various other fruit from a local farmer set up on the side of the road. The fruit would serve me well for some mid morning and mid afternoon or midnight snack.

Arriving at the barn I was slightly disappointed by the exterior. Sadly, being a person who does judge a book by its cover, only because it’s never failed me... until now. Opening the doors revealed a magnificent interior of design and art. While still a work in progress, the place showed me massive potential for an artist to do whatever the they needed to do to express themselves. I will reduce my inclination to judge a book by its cover next time I read one.

A walk around the grounds got me into a lazy and relaxed feel. I plodded along around the vineyards until I was greeted by Lassie! the dog. Lassie (not her real name) was a collie. Clearly a neighbours dog. She raced around me, excited as if she had not seen civilisation for months. Then she took off, into the dam, came out soaking wet. Shaking herself off and happily walking around the property with me for the next 2 hours.

I returned to the barn and made myself some refreshments and decided that it was getting late and dinner was in order. So, I took another walk down the road about 1km South. Found a pub with people eating outside. Though when I went in to order, the girl at the counter said “Sorry, you after food? We don’t cook on Monday’s and Tuesdays.”

So I made my way down to the other local. Not game to walk again, for the sake of my blisters on my feet, and my knees, I drove. The pub was nice, friendly and the food was nice and hot when I got it. It tasted great too. Washed down with a beer, I left the pub and went for a walk to see what all the commotion was about. The township was having a Christmas thing. Every night they’d have a fair on. Lights down the street, pancakes with cream and strawberries. Corn on a stick, you get the drift. The town had a nice feel to it. Though it was full of bored, young hooligans who had nothing better to do than choof up, talk crap and hate everything.

Ending the night back at the barn. I’ve showered and now about to snack on some strawberries then read a little more of my book and head off to bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase