Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Alfa Romeo 147 JTD (That's the diesel)

I went out on a limb and test drove a car out of my price range. Though I did negotiate it down to $40K Drive Away.



The Alfa 147 JTD Turbo Diesel.

Considering it's a 1.9L motor. Probably from the same ranks as the Punto I drove. The engine ran out of top end puff a lot quicker than the Punto's did. I know that's not how a diesel is meant to be driven. But when giving it the beans, it appears the 147's lower gears are too short. I found myself not going very quickly but changing gears like a nutter. Brilliant!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I thought the drive was very involved. The seating position just put you in that mood. A lot like when I get in my 405 Mi16. I just want to race everywhere blasting my horn for people to get out the way!!! The seating position was very comfortable though. One of life's simplest pleasures I have is after a hard day at work, getting into a nice car seat and forgetting everything except what's around the next bend. The 147 gave me that feeling. I'd pay $40,000 for that feeling. But I won't. I'll pay $20,000 for one that's a year old. So what if someone else farted on the seat. Googlilmo already did at the factory when it was driven on to the truck.

For a seat that is so bucket-like, you can see over the bonnet and visibility is great all around for a sports hatch. The dashboard buttons were of acceptable quality, but nothing that impressed me like the box shaped, old Mazda 2's interior quality. You get that Go-Kart feeling, but with a view over the bonnet. I have generally found that the two never meet in the middle, but they do here. I was going to say, it's a good compromise. But nothing has been compromised. It's all perfect.

It was very easy to drive, and very easy to drive quickly. Handling was great around the back streets in the rather industrial Rozelle. I imagined the potholes could have upset the car aimed more towards spirited driving. But it took them all in its stride. It was brilliant. In fact, it'll be on the short list of cars that I might be able to afford when I'm 40. I'm hoping by then I'll not only be alive, but I can still handle a car like this.

It's a good value car for the amount of kit you get. If it was in my budget, I'd be an owner of one right now. Easily the best $45K you could spend.

Sure there might be better cars on the market. But having driven quite a few in my search for my perfect car, I have to say, no other car have given me the feeling of boy racer meets family man in this much comfort and style.

And I have to say, it was a diesel, but it had a great sound to it. There, I said it! I can't believe that it sounded this good and it has a tractor engine in it.The engine noise inside the car was fantastic. It still gave that nice Alfa feeling. I can only imagine the Petrol engine sounding like a glorious swarm of killer bees. And that's a good thing.



I didn't end up with the Alfa, but it'll be a car that's looked at when it's time to purchase again. Alfa have now released the MiTo. And I love it. Yet to drive it though, but I did see a review by my ol' mate Jeremy Clarkson who loved it to death, except for the handling. Apparently the suspension is Americanised. "It puts a Mustang to shame" which is sad really. But the looks, the noise and the power allows you to easily forgive the suspension hindrence and go buy some after market kit to fix that.

Steve

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase