Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bands suck

Last night I went to my business network group's Christmas party.

I failed to go to last years one because, well... I couldn't be bothered really. So I decided I'd make an appearance this year. The event co-ordinator we had this year did something special. Well, when I say special, something more casual and relaxed, unlike the usual corporate parties where you go to a fancy restaurant and eat proper food.

No, this was much better. We had the party at a lawn bowls club, which is really funny because it's such a relaxing and enjoyable sport that really only old farts who are retired do it. However, I can see myself picking it up as an activity. So, after 2 hours of heated competition, we settled inside for the club's organised sausage sizzle. Basically putting a few hundred sausages on a BBQ and providing good but basic condiments like sauce, onions, mustard, and that's about it. Oh, salad, which none of the blokes touched.

It was a very traditional Aussie party, with a very traditional Aussie running the show. And good on him! for doing so, because it was a much better atmosphere than any corporate party I've ever been to.

While I was there, one of the members husband who's been playing drums in a band for a while was talking to me, and we once thought about organising something together, discussed forming a band or at least getting together and having a jam.

In the end, we both drew a conclusion that bands suck. Something I've said many times here in other entries. Whether it's because a member loses interest, is an idiot or just because it's a band. Either way, they always seem to suck. However, by the end of the night I think we were both a little tipsy and fired up to start a band together. So next time I see him I may ask him if he is serious enough that we should just put an advert in the music paper in Sydney called Drum Media to ask for any one interested to come and play.

Either way, I'm sure it's going to suck. But while it doesn't I'll have as much fun as I can.

Meanwhile I haven't heard back from my other two bands in regards to playing. I think one of them said maybe the 11th of Dec they want to record. We shall see. The last three rehearsals were suppose to be recorded. The other band is suppose to rehearse the following afternoon. I'm sure words will be mentioned, out loud is another thing. I'll see if my mate has the guts to say something to the drummer, or will he bomb out looking at me for help.

I want to just say something so we're all out of this stupidly awkward situation, but then I think that's not really helping out my friend who really has to do this on his own, but I'm happy to help arc him up before the fireworks. I believe this is something he just needs to do on his own two feet.

Sounding like a broken record player.... bands suck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know anything about bands but in the future maybe I will.

Pipsqeek said...

The only thing I can suggest is make sure everyone's feelings are up front.

It's terrible when band members minds change a year later. Or worse still, they don't say anything at all and just don't turn up. Been there. Done that. Which is why I'm so detached from bands these days. I just turn up when I'm suppose to. Play. Go home.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase