Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Funny people

I get a lot of ridicule for my opinions. Often times it is only because I go against the grain. I tend to dislike something that isn't status quo, even before I realise it is the status quo.

Comedians are one example. There are many out there. Some who think they're funny because everyone they know thinks they are funny. Then there are the few genuinely funny ones that can make you laugh.

The news and Internet is full of Ricky Gervais' recent exploits at the Grammys or something. This is where he gets up and says things that are bold, taboo, and crass. Yet everyone seems to think it's funny.

He isn't. His humour seems to relentlessly pry on other peoples misfortunes, mistakes and general mishaps. He takes a persons character and bastardises it to the point where everyone is shocked he said something like that, but laugh anyway. A bit like an accident where the victims head has been taken off. You know it's bad but you look anyway.

Since I'm a man of extremes, I'm going to compare Mr. Gervais to the Marx Brothers. A group of louts where humour is actually funny. It's harmless. It's laughable and no one gets hurt in the end. While there's a level of intelligence involved with constructing a joke, it's obvious one doesn't need much thought to come up with something crass. This is the opposite of the Marx Brothers. Where jokes are well constructed, thought out and delivered in such a witty manner, you don't know what hit you or how it hit you, because you're laughing so hard that you're about to bust a gut.

Gervais' jokes seem to hint of sarcasm. And sarcasm is the worst form of putting down known.

And while this is all in good humour. I would imagine the people Gervais has offended may take it in their stride, laugh about it. Deep down, I would imagine a tiny inkling of contempt and hatred for the man. Which I imagine is also part of his entire guise.

If so, job well done on being an in-humorous dick. You should get an award for that, and stand in line next to Kyle Sandilands and Russell Brand. You can take the Three Stooges to a whole new level, down.

2 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I agree with you. I like good clean comody that does not hurt anyone or offend anyone. Red Skelton was one of my favorites.

The Flying Tortoise said...

And I agree...

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase