Monday, September 18, 2006

Me vs Electrical item #0957

I finally bought myself an upgraded PC. Well... I bought the parts.

I assembled it on Thursday night. Turned it on. And nothing happened. Windows Did not want to install.

So I swaped components with ones I had laying around. I tried various different methods of install Windows. I got so frustrated, I thought "it's time to bring out the big guns".

So I attempted to boot a Live Knoppix CD, and low and behold, Kernel Panics. Upon testing the hardware (HDD, RAM, Motherboard, etc). I found the RAM to be faulty, failing every test in Slot 1. I swapped the RAM around with a known working module, and Slot 1 failed again.

I put the RAM in slots 3 and 4 (also tested Slot 2) and the machine worked.

Cause: Slot 1 is faulty, machine is DOA and going to be sent back to suppliers.

Great! Didn't really need this. But atleast I figured out what was going wrong.

Once I figured out that the machine works with the RAM in the other slots. I continued to install Windows and get it all set up. This will save me doing it later when I get the replacement box.

pipsqeek

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase