Thursday, June 10, 2010

On the move

Retirement is something everyone wants. Who wants to work? No one. Why do we work? Money. We all need it in todays society. It's rare in built up areas to be able to head down the grocery shop and say "I'll clean the floors if you give me some eggs, carrots, potatoes and onions."

When I look at people who live off the grid or on the land, away from it all, there's a level of comfort that I can see. You can grow your own fruit and veg. You can have your own chickens for eggs and meat for the special occasions.

But what about the life of a vagabond? My wife and I like the idea of retiring and hitting the road for the rest of our lives. We like the idea of a motor home or something like that. Though I like VW Kombis. She likes the fully kitted out caravans that I wish not to tow.

What can you do with regards to food when it comes to a life on the road?

I thought long about this and only came up with one thing. Money.

The vehicle needs maintenance, fuel, servicing, unscheduled breakdowns, and there's no where really to grow anything you want of substantial significance that you could live off. You'll have to pay for food too.

Paying for it isn't so much the problem as much as more and more people these days talk about never retiring because their pension won't support them once they stop receiving a regular income from fulltime work. That is, if there is a pension when they retire, and by "they" I mean "me".

While you can live quite frugally, and I know I have had to in the past. I do believe it would be quite difficult at times.

Watching the River Cottage series, the main guy starts off living on the road, but that soon changes and the "cottage" turns in to a full blown farm/restaurant thing with a full production farm that comes with beef, milk, chicken, eggs, fruit and veg. Sure it cost more than a van, but this is where I can see obvious signs of self sufficiency. On the road, I just can't see that and I'm curious how it works.

How does life on the road differ to life on the land?

3 comments:

tffnguy said...

A lot of the people that work at places like the Big Bend Motor in own RVS and move from one resort to the other when the busy season is over at the last stop. The usually get free RV parking while they are working so that takes care of a place to stay and even though the pay probably isn't much they have income. Different places around the county have different busy seasons so they just go to one of the other places when the job plays out.

Anonymous said...

here is a great website! http://www.chicktimes.com/articles/the-blame-game.html

Pipsqeek said...

Hi Anonymous. While I love the website and the subject you linked to. I'm not linking the blame game to what I've written.

Can you illustrate this for me. My blog entry was asking how it's possible to have a simple life living on the road without the obvious concepts of living on the land (or off the land depending on your point of view). My question comes from someone who somewhat does one but not the other, living in an urban surrounding but growing my own food and having to take care of a mini vegetable farm.

While these things are nice, I was curious how it worked for others who live on the road rather than have a plot of space they can do as they will with.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase