Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why enough isn't enough

As humans, we always want more. More is better. More is more. Less is crap. The person with more always wins. It's not a human condition, it's a social one. Society tells us that more is better. Bigger is better.

I see this all the time. Being an ex-motorcycle mechanic, I always take notice of automotive marketing blurbs.....

"Our new model is faster, lighter, handles better......"

The same goes for cars. "Our most powerful model yet"

You know, even if that were the case, and each year since an automotive manufacturer made their cars increased the engine power , the theory states we should all be driving super fast cars that weigh nothing.

With motorcycles, you hear it all the time, "We made a weight saving of 5kg." And they seem to do this each year, at the same time the swing arm is longer too. So how come the bike isn't tipping the scales at 45kg and producing 400 Horse Power?

I think a lot of it has to do with more bullshit. And I think it plays on the heart strings of modern humans who automatically think more is better. Even if you're not getting more. You'll pay for thinking it, and being able to tell your friends.

How far can this go? It goes far enough. Same as shops who have those great SALE! signs up, all the time. When isn't there a sale?

I'd like to have a sale one day where I put up signs that say "No SALE today! Try next door"

I think I'll probably get more attention because it's so different.

There is some light, and while the end of the tunnel is still a while away. I think a minority of people are starting to realise that less is better. More is excessive. I won't lie. I'm one of them. More was always better. Now less is. I want less. I want everyone else to have less.

Why does a house have to cost half a million dollars? Why not $20? Who decides that my land rates are lower or higher than the neighbour in the next suburb?

Why does my water cost more than your water?

How come I get taxed higher because I make more money? Even if you tax someone who makes more, at the same rate, you still end up with more money.

Is it just me or has the world gone mad?

I know what it is. It's greed. People always want more. Because more is more. More is better.

Well if more is better, I'm happier being worse off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase