Monday, May 11, 2009

Great musicians, but are they really?

Over the years, as you play music in various states of this life-cycle, you grow musically by taking on something new every time you jam or perform with other musicians.

Over the years, while my experience is rather limited compared to a lot of other musicians out there, I can safely say that I've picked up a few clues about music. Partly, the biggest thing that I'm always reminded about is how little I know.

Thanks to this realisation, I am always listening to something new. I'm always interested in what other people's music collection comprises of because I'm sure there will be at least one gem, one surprise or one piece or artist that appeals to me and sends my own musical flow into a whole new direction.

Having this knowledge, or lack there of. I feel that I'm an impostor. I'm not really that good at music at all. There's a lot more that I don't know than what I do know and that annoys me. But what I do know is that I can't sing, or play the accordion for that matter. However, a few people believe I am good at singing, luckily everyone knows I suck at accordion. While I will agree that I have an okay voice. My voice will not be able to stand up to a 3 and a half minute song. Does that make me a good singer? Heck no! It doesn't even make me a singer at all.

However amount of people say otherwise, to me, having one skill or another doesn't make you good at it. For example, if I were a cabinet maker I would be expected to be able to build any type of cabinet. Would the cabinet maker be considered a good one if they could only build one type of cabinet when you need a kitchen made up? What about if a mechanic could only work on one car and yours wasn't it? Would you take your car to them?

You wouldn't be wrong in thinking they they suck at their jobs and they should start looking for a new one.

So what happens when it comes to music or any talent for that matter?

A couple of years ago someone asked me about my method of playing music. I told them straight out that I don't have a clue, I still don't. Then I went up on stage at the Empire Hotel and had a jam through three songs with musicians that I didn't even know prior to getting to the venue. When I got off the stage, the person who asked me about music before asked me how the hell could I do that if I didn't know what the hell I'm doing? "Easy" I said. "I listen"

The next question was "How do you learn to play like that then?" I told them it's something I've always had. Being able to mimic music or sounds I hear. I never learnt it, it's something I'm sure I was born with.

Over a few beers, the questions got deeper until this last one. "Can talent be taught or does it come naturally?"

This is a freaking tough question. I mean, you can have someone who's talented and that can do anything. But did they learn to do whatever it is? Maybe they worked so hard to get it right that they appear to have a natural knack to whatever it is they're doing. Perhaps it's a combination of both. They're talented but is it because they learnt their talent?

I think, YES. And here's my conclusion.

I think the real talent lies in the person in question and their ability to achieve their talent. Their natural talent to be talented is their talent. If that makes sense, what I mean is that I think when you see someone with a talent, their talent is their ability to learn a talent not the talent itself. Get my drift?

I know some people that are very talented. They appear to be able to not only do things I can't, but they do a hell of a lot more, even some stuff I can do. And they do it better than me. While I'm not jealous, I do use it as a point to strive towards. On the other hand I know people that are not so talented or so they think. While there is nothing wrong with these people, I'm not sure whether or not it's because they just don't know if they're talented. They might just be lazy. Or they could be that uninterested that the talent they might have is wasted away, totally unaware to themselves and the people around them. Then again, they could be very talented yet they don't consider what they have as a talent of skill. Perhaps no one has ever told them.

An example of this only came up last week when the drummer in both the bands I'm playing in now, in my opinion plays pretty ordinary. While I consider him extraordinary for someone who's only been playing drums for about two years. It wasn't until I jammed with him in his other band that I got to see how good a percussionist her really is. He blew me away, and I can only convey the kudos I received from the other members about how good a bass player I am towards our drummer friend and his awesome ability to play drums. If I were to guess how long he had been playing drums with our usual band, I'd guess about two years. But if you were ask me the same question with the other band, I'd say that he's been playing for at least 10 years. The difference was such a contrast, that I can only assume one thing. Our usual bands style is cramping his, or it's an un-ventured style for him and he's learning something new and trying to find his place in all the noise.

Having performed both on and off stage with great and not so great musicians, I have learnt how to pick who a great muso is, and the ones that aren't so fantastic. I often feel that I'm in the latter category. When people big me up, I feel like an impostor. The funny thing is, maybe on that night they weren't feeling it either and my impression of them  is actually tainted and inaccurate. SHIT!

Then again, what if you played with these people on numerous occasions, and they suck every time? What then?

Last week I was rehearsing with a new band. I have to say straight out, while the two guitarists I played with were a bit up themselves (they though of themselves as rock gods - which pretty much portrays the type of mentality we're dealing with), they were what I consider professional musicians. Here's how I define a professional, compared to someone of mediocre talent when it comes to music. This relates to pretty much any performance artist, regardless of genre.

1. When you stuff up, keep playing. Don't stop, don't yell, make faces, turn around and walk away. It only shows how much you stuffed up. I stuff up all the time, no one ever notices because I keep playing.

2. Have the ability to play what you advertise. What I mean by this is if you say you can play the piano I expect you to be able to sit down with me and play a freaking song that pops up. If you can't then you are not a pianist. While I might sound harsh, the fact is you portray a talent with an instrument you chose to play, yet you can't play a damn thing I ask of you. This is the same as my ability to sing in key, with maybe even a good tone and timbre to my voice according to some. But if I can't make it through a song without my voice box drying up, me coughing my guts up and my face turning red, then really, would I be trusted in building that cabinet or servicing that car? I haven't really made a convincing effort have I?

The one thing I've told musicians that think they're the shit is this:

How do you think you'd go if you were auditioning for your favourite band?

Chances are, they think they'll do fine. The reality is, they'll end up on Australian Idol's beginning of the show, and we all know who turns up in those episodes.

So the answer tells me one or two things. You're either deluded, or you can actually do it.

What prompted me to come up with all this crap?

Well, it's been something I feel strongly about and it has been churning and burning inside me for years. Especially when I have played with musicians of my last band I was in where we had some great musicians slip through our fingers to make way for some slacker that couldn't figure out what key you're playing in until you tell them.

Having a recent discussion with some musicians, they prompted me to think about what I'm doing with myself these days, since I told them that I haven't done much with music over the years until now. But in my efforts to fulfil myself creatively, I have been attending sketching sessions that have allowed me the creative exit I needed. It was a liberating relief to allow my fingers to move with a tool in their hand and create something beautiful. Sketching, at times I wondered who's hand it was down on the paper, holding a piece of charcoal and sketching away without thought, without a notion of conscious decision.

When I got up on stage and played music in front of 500 people or 5 people, I go through the same thing. And it's only afterwards I realise what it is I've done. I never truly know how well I did because I live in the moment. In every note. And I don't know what will happen next. I can only assume that what I experience playing music is what someone who popped an E would feel. It's a trip for me, and it's a damn sight cheaper. Though I'm not sure about the concequences. hahaha.

So, really, what the hell am I blabbing on about? Well. I'm sad to say, I've had enough of playing around with crap musicians and as such will be telling them so. Everyone who reads this is a musician, so if I'm still talking to you, you're not the untalented ones. However, you could be and I'll be leaving subtle hints on how to improve yourself, so you can stand proud with your instrument of choice and know that you can also use your talent of playing music to actually playing some great music. Then we can make some good music together.

I'm sure I'm going to offend a lot of people who read this, but the real point of this post is to see if I can actually get someone to comment on my blog entries for a change :) Also to promote some discussion on the topic.

2 comments:

Di said...

Well fine then! humpff! I you don't want to be in my band! ...Just remember when I'm a super dooper rich, multi mega star (and have been through rehab to prove it) I'll say..."Pips who?" :P


teehehe...I'm so funny! pmsl

pipsqeek said...

Hahahah.

pmsl? Post Musician Stress Incarnation?

You can keep your mega-stardom. I just want to be around proper musos. I'm fed up with babysitting. :P

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase