Monday, May 11, 2009

people, Don't know how to sentence structures. anymore

The other night on television, I heard an advertisement for McDonald's. It told me that I should try their new menu. What it actually said, and I quote is, "7 items under $3"

I am now led to believe I can get 7 items for under $3. I'm sure those items are all small, and not very filling. But 7 of them would tide ones hunger for at least a couple of hours. I was quickly corrected by the wife, "It's 7 different items under $3"

My retort was that this is not what was said. I had a discussion with my wife about this and how society has really lost its ability to make complete sentences. She came back to me with a witty remark, "Why don't you teach them"

I'd love to, if that's what I got paid for. Sadly, I work in IT and between dealing with SMS speak and IM chat.

At first I argued that our language was dying. But upon some research I discovered that the English that we speak now, and many of us in my generation know of isn't the same English they spoke 100 years ago. Lets say 500 years ago. English was a different language. Reading Shakespear is all it takes to see that.

So, is the English language dying or changing? And are other languages around the world going through the same morphuses?

I wonder.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase