Saturday, August 14, 2010

Drum Circle developments

I finally got word back from the local council regarding facilitating free community drum circles.

The short answer is, they're really not interested.

The long answer is, they can allow me to do it but in light of the girl getting shut down with her lemonade stand, I have discovered that I need two things for a free drum circle.

1. Money - The council wants me to pay them to use the public park I already pay for with my taxes.
2. Public Liability - I need to be insured in case someone drops a drum on their foot and sues me.

This has made trying to get a drum circle up and running a lot more difficult that it really needs to be.

In totally opposite news, I have a good friend who works for Hurstville council and has told me about an up and coming Fair the council is putting on to showcase what they have to offer and allow the community to join together.... hey! A council that encourages community and bringing people together, not discouraging it with insurance and fees, etc.

So I've been asked to provide 10 drums, start playing and encouraging passer by'ers to sit and play some rhythms hopefully to encourage them to take part in getting into the Fair. I'm apparently setting up out the front somewhere.

I'm planning on buying some more djembes and also getting one of those roll out signs made up that you see at conventions and stuff. The ones that you roll open and then stick a pole behind it to stay open. Then take the pole out when you're done to allow the poster to contract back into the roller shutter thingy.

I'll also probably get a small marque. Something big enough for ten people to sit around in a circle. Just to keep the sun off. Though if it's under cover, I won't bother with that expense until I get big enough to bother with that sort of expense.

I've found a place that I'm going to see on Tuesday and try to negotiate with the agent for a couple of months free rent which will allow me to get started without much outlay of funds. I'll have to paint the place and as I get more students I'll start building more rooms.

A fresh coat of paint and some signage is all it needs for now. Stay tuned (pun intended).

2 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Sounds like you have a plan. Hope all works out for you.

You must be a multi-talented fellow. You play the guitar, the drums, and what else? I suppose you sing.

Keep up the good work.

Pipsqeek said...

I'm 31 and the first time in my life I have a plan. Well, technically the second time. Long story...

Without boasting, I've been playing music since I was 6 (and it took me two years of pestering to get my mother to buy me my first musical instrument).

I can play a lot of instruments, and yes... I also sing. Music is the most significant part of my life next to my wife. If I lost music and my wife, I'd have nothing left. I could care less about my home and friends come and go. Music has been with me for as long as I can remember.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase