Friday, January 23, 2009

The Optimism Society

I tend to err on the negative side of things. But when people ask me or tell me I'm negative. I use to tell them I was a realist. These days I like to think I'm more alternative than negative. There's a difference, and I hope to explain it.This morning on channel 7, I watched Sunrise. Our casual and more laid back morning breakfast show for the bigger kids. There was a young man from the UK promoting optimism and I thought that was a great thing because there are people out there like me that usually tend to think more on the minus side of like to avoid disappointment, or whatever reason they have. I have found that I'm not really so negative, but more alternative. When there are two sides of a story, and argument or a discussion, I come in with a third side. I'm the Side C to life.

My good friend Ray who is one of few people I look up to for growing up and business is a very positive and living person. I can ask him to guess something for me and he'll think of every possible answer, each one in a positive light. Then I'll come up with a disappointing "No".

I'm concious of this though and I fathom to think that on the outside this is causing me to look bad to others. At the same time, I feel I am one of those down-to-earth people. I go with the flow and obstacles just slow me down rather than stop me in my tracks. I deal with change easily. But that's not to say I dealt with it so easily in the past.

I believe my outlook on life that appears a little jaded helps me deal with what curve balls have come my way.

Why am I talking about this? Well, a friend of mine who has gone through some massive growing up (and still has a long way to go) over the past couple of years is going through what I refer to as Groundhog day. While he says he's okay he has a nasty habit of thinking out loud. What he thinks out loud still wreaks of the ultimate negativity, full of insults and generally directed at the person in the firing line at the time.

Sadly, being a good friend, I want to say something and it's not the fact that I don't want to jeapordise the friendship so I don't say anything. It's the HOW am I going to tell them what they're doing is not the right way about it.

This will be my thought for the rest of the week.

What brought this post on was the guy I saw in the morning on Sunrise talking about positivity and optimism. It's easy for some people to see what they need and accept it into their lives. Others struggle through no fault of their own. The reasons are variable and possibly endless, especially when that person is constantly finding themselves in strife.

Anyway, I wrote this because it's my way of thinking out loud and in a way to work out how I'm going to help my friend out.

Thanks for reading

pipsqeek

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase