Sunday, April 19, 2009

Baby Animals

Like most people in my age group we all grew up during an iconic time in Australia's music industry where bands came and went but some stuck around. While some never left at all, others went through a re-birth under new names and new genres.

The Baby Animals are one of those iconic Aussie bands that were around for a little while. Their breakup broke my heart as I anticipated a solo musical career from the sexy Suze DeMarchi. It never happened, so I turned my attention to the likes of Tina Arena and Dannii Minogue. Much like my liking changed without much thought, so too did their disappearance. They went from chart topping madness, supporting Van Halen on U.S. tours to nothing. Suze went on to marry and have kids in LA with her man from Extreme fame. The band broke up as there was no new material and no record label, due to the bottom falling out of who had signed them thanks to lack of talent to top the charts.

baby-animals1

The lengthy absence from Australia's music scene only made their gig at the Revesby Workers all the more sweeter. Their support act, the Spazzys already gave me low expectations thanks to their poor efforts and sample music on their MySpace page. Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised that they sounded fantastic live. Sadly, I won't be buying any of their CD's because a recorded performance will never come near the energy the all female trio displayed as if they were headlining the show.

The music was so good, that I thought their set was a bit too short. They thanks us and were off to pack up.

Finally the main event was happening and the band members of Baby Animals entered the stage. Suzie entering into the dimly lit centre stage and starting off with their classic pearler songs to get the nostalgic crowd pumped up.

The entire band was as good as the last time I saw them. creating a brilliant ambiance with some hard hitting rock songs and taking a breather for some mellow ballads. Towards the end of the night they got back on stage for the encore and all the members changes positions and instruments. I love it when bands do that. I also appreciate the fact that they can do that because it illustrates a vital point to any bands ability to jam and get along. The ability to play and understand another persons part and their instrument is important if not for that, then at least for your own musical education and ability.

After that they switched back and continued to rock out with a nice little piece of cabaret then ending on some hard hitting music to end the night on a high and leaving you with the lust for more classic Aussie rock.

I'm tempted to go see them on Tuesday at Rooty Hill. If you missed out, I'd suggest you go see them while their touring. It's an entertaining couple of hours that are well spent. I even went to the efforts of becoming a member of Revesby Workers, just so I could get in to see them play. It's only the second time I've ever been in that place and probably won't be going in there again due to other reasons unless Suze happens to be there again, or Rose Tattoo rocks up and tear the place a new arsehole with their in-your-face ROCK.

I'm left wanting more. More Aussie rock, more Suze. hmmmmmmmm...... Suze

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase