Monday, March 22, 2010

Hollywood surprises me. Wow.

A story I just read where Hollywood film makers are starting to only look for "real" actors and actresses are becoming the norm.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7069895.ece

The end of the article tells that Hollywood is changing. And it seems for the better.

I for one am still not 100% on the whole thing. The reason is, I barely watch any TV. I watch television shows. However, I watch them when I want, and I get to see them right after they aired on television, not three years later on local TV broadcasts. Thanks to the Internet, I can watch my favourite shows.

Though most movies I watch only seem to play at small, art house cinemas where that's the first and last time you'll hear of the film. It is highly likely that you won't get to see it again at the video shop because the foreign section is generally littered with Asian martial arts films. Also none of which I find boring and tedious to watch, but after a while you've seen one you've seen them all.

Hollywood films on the other hand are exactly like that. I once went to a video shop with a friend, he rented something like 8 films and was disappointed "I can't find anything good to watch" he said as he walked up to the counter to pay for the 8 rentals he just picked. I found that funny. Nothing to watch, yet you're going to waste the next 16-20 hours of your life watching what you don't like.

Is that weird or am I the only person that goes against this grain?

When he asked me if I would like to pick a film, I said "No. I looked through the shop, there's nothing here for me."

He said "A whole shop of DVD's and you can't find one film you like?"

Nope. :)

When we got to his place, he put a film on. I stared blankly at the TV wondering about playing my guitar, passing the time away, instead of watching regurgitated garbage spewing forth from a town I spent a couple of years in, I'd rather waste time chatting about things with my friends.

In fact, when it comes to films, the closest to enjoyment I get from watching them is 5 second films on Youtube. They sum it all up within 5 seconds. There's no point in seeing the full length film now. I got the gist of it.

But now Hollywood says that we don't like puffy, false lips, false breasts, manicured models and photoshopped images. We want the real thing. Something like that makes you stand up and peer over the fence to see what's going on.

I'm sure there's always going to be the usual filth people call movies. But this news might illustrate a turn for the better. Hell may freeze over, and I might enjoy watching films again. At least, Hollywood ones, that it.

I still like my Asian kung-fu and Euro-arthouse stuff.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly wood still sucks to me. They have no tallent anymore. Its just kids with no real life experience. Thats why I dont have a TV and that is why I only see a movie once in a while.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase