Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What's a Bouzouki?

This isn't a silly question.

A Bouzouki is a string instrument, usually with 8 strings.

It's popular amongst Greek musicians but can be used anywhere you want to add some good string instrument sounds.

The Bouzouki is part of the lute family of instruments that has a pear shaped body and a really long neck.

The top of the body is flat, the back of the body is rounded and has multiple lines or panels of wood. They say the more panels of wood it has, the better the sound.

This is an image of a bouzouki with a high count of "ribs" as I like to call them.


The cheaper models have less "ribs" which don't give it as good a sound. In truth they probably sound just fine, but I guess when you're a professional, it matters.

The sound of the bouzouki has a very strong attack with not much sustain. It's a very trebly sound to which I've provided a video clip of one to see and hear it in action below.

I guess it can almost be akin to a banjo. Another instrument I want to have. My wife loves them and wants me to own one just so I can play it for her.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH now I know where that sound comes from. Next time Im sitting in a greek resturant I will know.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase