Friday, October 31, 2008

Big Hearted Renovators Dream can only lead to disappointment

You have to love marketing. The crap they come up with sometimes is gold. I know someone who owns a marketing company. I have to say, they're a great person to hang out with. Because they're so full of shit that everything they say is hilarious.



Normally I don't watch television. But when I do I think of my marketing mate with the amount of crap they spin. So I thought I'd write a list of sayings you hear often, and what they really mean. I'd like to add that these are pretty obvious, so humour is optional.

Renovator's Dream - Dilapidated, the easy bits done for you, now you have to fix it before moving in because there's no room for you and your furnishings amongst the rats, roaches and boogers on the wall next to the bits of what appears to be carrot stew.

Big Hearted Engine - Shitbox car, small underpowered engine that has the potential to make it up the hill if only the transmission was better matched to the gutless turd it's attached to. The size of its heart is closely related to yours breaking because you remind yourself every day you sit in it that you could have worked a little harder and got the next model up.

Development Potential - Good luck with getting council to approve anything you want to do.

I suppose I should be fair. People aren't really going to put down that your life will suck after you buy this...

Or maybe I'm just a negative person. Though I like to look at it more as a realist. I like keeping it real. Leaving nothing to expectations and making sure that whatever happens, I am not disappointed in the outcome because I didn't expect anything. The positive side to being negative is that the outcome is generally always better than expected. So you travel through life living on a high because everything has exceeded your expectations.

Think about it. How many times in life have you wanted something so bad, given yourself an expectation that you WILL get what you're after. A couple of days later you are on the downer, miserable because it didn't turn out to be as you expected.

Looking at the other side of the picture, you want something, you don't expect to get it, you carry on knowing it'll never come and you go through life as per normal. But, on the chance that you do get what you didn't really want in the first place, you are rapped! It's fantastic.

But really, when you think about it this is crazy talk. You're thinking, "So, you're telling me to drop all my expectations in order to feel more fulfilled when they come to fruition and if they don't I won't be so disappointed because I didn't expect them anyway."

Why, yes. That's exactly what I mean. :)

I'm sure there's an argument against this. I'm sure that thinking negatively will only breed negativity. In fact I'll throw some spanners into the works and say that I do agree with that. But I'll give you another example to illustrate what I mean.

It's my birthday (it was about a month ago). I invited all my mates to a party at a restaurant. They all turned up too. I expected only a few people. BONUS! See positive number one.

Most of them even had presents. BONUS number two. I really didn't expect or want presents. This isn't to say I'm ungreatful. The presents I got were bloody awesome. But the bonus is, because I didn't want or expect them and I got them. I was really happy about what I got.

If I were to invite everyone to my birthday. Expect them all to come and find that only a few people turned up then I would have probably been negative towards the idea that there was only 3 of us instead of 20 of us. I'm sure I probably would have enjoyed myself just as much, but it wouldn't have been what I wanted.

I was asked by some people what presents I want. I told them I don't want anything. They all turned up with something.

So, next time you find yourself disappointed because something didn't go your way or not to plan. Don't plan anything, don't expect anything and when things don't go your way, you'll be happy to know that you expected them not to.... without expecting them to....

I'll leave you with that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase