Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The worst car dealer in Australia, a Hyundai i30 and a 2 (again)

I was having a great day until I decided that I had a good lunch break ahead of me and I should go down to the newish Peugeot dealer in Sutherland [This happened last year].

I walked in, there were a few cars around. A shiny Audi in the back (owners?) I walked around for a few minutes and open and shut car doors. Sat in the current 307 which appears to be slightly different to the one I drove around Tassie. Not sure if there was a revision between the models. Maybe the 307 I drove in Tasmania was a series 1 or sorts. Anyway. I was well aware a 308 is due in a matter of months. But part of shopping around for a new car is finding a good dealer to match.

I had this overweight and arrogant person hurl his way up to me and right in my face said, "Yes mate?". This was not one of those good dealers.

I told him I was interested in the 307. He didn't mention the impending doom of the current model just 4 months away and that I could negotiate a good deal because of it. But he did mention that there were not a lot of these 307's left. In other words I've gotta get in quick.

I asked for a test drive and this is where things went a little odd.

The sales guy said "What?" then laughed. "Ahhh no.... you don't just waltz up to a dealer and get in a car. You book a test drive. Peugeot is a highly regarded brand, of high prestige, we don't just "sell" cars, we sell a Lifestyle. Now I would like to politely ask you to leave before I call the police."

It's not often my blood boils. I rarely lose my cool. But I lost it then. I was one step off smashing this guys face in the door of the 207 I was standing next to. If only it would fit.

I didn't. I walked away before getting myself into trouble.

I got in the car, so infuriated that I went over to Hyundai to see what the fuss was about with the i30. Retail therapy! Window shopping.

It's a good car. Not worth what they're asking for it though. The Sante Fe is worth the money, this is not. It felt cheap, and by the time you optioned it up to the competition's standard, it was still not as nice as a C3, nor as well equipped.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good car. Hyundai are making brilliant cars these days. But I think what they have done with this one is remove all options and features. Hand you four wheels and a key. Then proceed to bend you over if you want all the extras. I think they're capitalising on the cheap to run, cheap to fill up and cheap to service thing but cashing in on the retail price.

I'm sure negotiations could have taken place, and at least the dealer was fantastic. The car was lacklustre and easily made purchasing a Tuscon a better option.

On a separate note, I drove the new Mazda 2.

Now, a fair few months ago I drove the box shaped model and commented on how well the car did. It was one of the most refined cars under $20K I had driven. The car was beautifully fitted and finished.

Disappointingly, they have totally ruined the new Mazda 2. The dash let out a creek when I randomly hit some buttons. I flashed back to my 405 Mi16 and thought I was in it for a minute. The look on my face was that of an infant trying out a lemon for the first time.

The car is distinguishably smaller. Not a little bit, like the manufacturer leads you to believe. They have placed the gearknob up high, a la Honda Jazz. Which I think is fine for an auto, but crap for a manual. You'll get RSI changing gears in this car.

On a more positive note, the dealer was super friendly and the exterior of the car is brilliant. I'd get a 3 if I was thinking about it, the interior quality matches the exterior, something all their consumer models use to do.

I didn't get to test drive any of the cars though. The Sutherland Pug dealer was too up himself, which I didn't think was possible, due to how full of himself he was in the first place. The Hyundai didn't need a drive. It felt rubbish sitting in it. The Mazda 2 was the same unfortunately. Especially as the model it just replaced was so awesome in comparison.

On a good note, I'm very close to purchasing a car and I am thinking that the C4 has it. It didn't impress me so much after getting a very big build up. I was disappointed with it due to the build up but looking back, comparing it with all other cars. It is almost a clear winner. I think the thing that has made me just about make my mind up about who gets my money is that not only was the car good, but the dealer was the best dealership overall I have had the opportunity to visit.

They will more than likely be getting my money.... if I end up with the C4

Steve

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase