Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy with nothing

You'd have to agree when I tell you, people are happy with nothing.

My recent trip to Fiji only reminds me of this fact, as most of the people can't afford a loaf of bread and resort to begging or stealing.

Yet, while speaking to a local, he struggles, but he is happy. He wouldn't trade what little he has for one day of my life back here in Sydney. He's happy with what little he has. He has nothing to lose. He has no cares, worries or hindrances other than waking up, working during the day to feed the family at night, and it repeats itself over and over again.

Compare that to a local here in Sydney. We do exactly the same thing. Go to work, earn something to support our family, come home to dinner and go it all again tomorrow. So where's the difference?

We have the new car, the flash TV, laptops, new homes, wants.

The last point is probably the biggest one. Wants.

Because we're conditioned to give in to desire. We see it on TV (which is probably why I don't watch it). We see it in magazines, hear it on the radio, hear about it from friends.... keeping up with the Jones' as they say.

When you look at any country that is considered poor, and I hate that word, "Poor". I think that these countries are rich. Their values are rich. It's all about family, providing and helping each other out. There are exceptions, a few desperate souls who snoop to stealing and begging. But under the circumstances, you can see why, and you accept it.

However, everyone has the same opportunity, the same chance to make something of what they have, regardless of how much or how little they have. It's not about how much resources you have, but how resourceful you are.

Some will look at this and say you're compromising. Others can look at it and say you're just making do. Either way, if the result is the same, who cares?

I tell you who.... Us. The consuming population. The guys like me who love their gadgets, love flat screen TV's. But I'm a man of contradictions. I'm a hypocrite. As much as I love all these devices, the bells, the whistles. I also despise them. I dislike them. I can do without them.

Family in Fiji were shocked that I left my laptop and mobile phone at home. I told them. I'm here, I'm switched off. And I can stay that way for years. I know I can. But since I have the choice not to. I'm here on my laptop, writing more thoughts and already thinking about my next blog entry.

Does this make me happy. Well, it offers me comfort. But I wouldn't say it makes me happy. When I sat there listening to the local Fijian bloke talk about how his life is hard, but simple. He wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world. I sat there green with envy.

However, one thought crossed my mind, and while speaking about migrating to Fiji to the wife on the plane, she had the same feeling too. What would be do there? We also dislike the total anti-pride in work that everyone does. No one seems to care if something is done write or wrong. It's done, now can I leave to go home and drink?

The Fijians, while hard workers, are lazy. The Indians (a high number of them live there), are hard workers, but they are Indian, and if you've been to India, read or heard about it, there's the way the rest of the planet works, and there's how India works. There's a TED talk on it, and it's from an Indian who says that how they work is very different to the entire planet. It's true, and if you're not accepting of it, it'll drive you mad.

Much like driving in Fiji. Westerns seem to tell me they hate it, it's chaos. I always tell them I love the chaos. I love the overtaking on the wrong side of the road. I love the lack of indicating. It's like driving in Italy, but slower. Since everyone is so lazy, the speed at which they drive at is too. It's faster to walk through town, but driving through the chaos is more fun. And since you're only crawling along, but still making good pace, you get to places, you push and shove otherwise you'll end up at the back. You'll have cars and busses on your side of the road because they'd rather run over your car than hit that huge pot hole that seems to cover every single street in the country.

But I've really digressed now. These people are happy with nothing. And if you look at other countries with similar lifestyles, South America, Africa, you'll see that the people there are some how better off. Better off with life. Compare that to a millionaire and you'll see that while they might be showing a smile, I bet it hides a mountain of worries. Worries of losing their millions, their possessions. They lifestyle.

While I'm no millionaire. As much as the Fijian lifestyle appeals to me, I'm not going to lie and say I'll do it now. In fact I'm not sure I have the guts to change over to that at all. I'm not doing to lie and say I'd do it. I'd more there for a happier life. I am hypocritical, but I'm no liar. I might move there. One day my wife and I might genuinely get fed up with paying off our mortgage, paying endless bills, trying to keep up with the Jones', trying to buy the latest TV or iPhone or whatever. I know I'd be happier. But can I let go? The answer is, no for the moment. I can't. But I know I must. And when that happens, you'll hear about it.

Happy with nothing. I'm sure this works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I agree with you on most points , but I would say they are being oppressed because I bet there is a degree of western culture that wont allow them to revert back 100% to how their ancestors lived. USA and its native americans were much better off with nothing , BUT and its a BIG BUTT, in their original situation before the Europeans/spanish came. They had a great cultrue and we used to call them savages because they had nothing as far as we wre concerned. Now the majority have the worst of what we have.

So sad, but there are some cultures who have less stress and I admire it. I will be that kind of person eventually.

Welcome back

Pipsqeek said...

Thanks for the welcome.

I agree, western influences are causing issues in Fiji. I'm not sure I'd call it oppression. However, it is a significant influence. Materialism, consumerism and wants are taking over necessity.

Despite all this, they have to be one of the lowest stressed countries in the world. I'm still in Fiji Time myself. I rehearsed last night and was so relaxed I almost fell asleep while playing bass.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase