Monday, April 26, 2010

Recording - Day 2

I turned up to the studio late. Had to wait for my wife to get ready so I could drop her off on the way.

I finished laying down my bass tracks in about 30 minutes and then hung around for a little bit. I still had to do some acoustic over dubs and play my Djembe over one track. When I suggested I do them now, that way I can leave and head to this party.

So, after setting it all up. The sound guy doing all this work, the Djembe didn't work with the song. I didn't think it would. But I like trying things. However, recording isn't the time and place to be trying new things. It's where you come after you've spent however long rehearsing. Rehearsals are where you try stuff out.

Anyway. I played my acoustic guitar on another track, having never played the song in my life. I nailed it in two takes. Packed up my stuff and said my goodbyes. Off to the BBQ.

My mate greeted me with a fresh beer. It went down well. Then thirty or so minutes later, the guest of honour turned up. She's put on a few kilos, and her accent is more Canadian than French. Still, good to see her. She's got a good sense of humour. And being from Quebec, is a little more open when the jokes get dirty.

My wife finally turned up. Sending me a message earlier that she ran into Dick Smith. I told her to tell him that her husband is one of his biggest fans. Dick Smith is a true Australian. He's a modern day patriot. Everything he's ever done has been for the good of this nation.

Anyway. I'll be calling up the guys later today to ask how the recording went. I hope they got all their guitar and vocal parts in. However, I somehow doubt it. It's a lot of songs to record in 2 days. I'm expecting them to say they did three or five songs tops. I hope they did them all, but I suspect otherwise.

The bad part about it all is it's still not a finished product. The sound guy now has to edit the songs. This may take a further two days. Then he has to EQ the songs so all the instruments are heard but not out of place. Then it's time to add some fairy dust and make it sound like we're in the same band. Finally ending up mastering the tracks and putting them on to a CD or good old vinyl.

There's a tonne of work to be done. Easily a week's worth of work now that the songs are down in the computer. That is, if the boys got to finish them all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase