Wednesday, April 21, 2010

With compliments

Recently I was given the chance to play my African Djembe live on stage with a fellow musician that I have known for about 6 or so months.

We met at a music shop in my local area that holds a special evening on the last Wednesday of each month called "The Acoustic Club". Each month a bunch of dudes get together and have a jam session.

Being an acoustic club, the general turnout amounts to a room full of acoustic guitars. As you may have read previously, on my recent visit to acoustic club, I took my Djembe due to my finger injury and the inability to play guitar.

Since everyone loved it by the end of the night, I was asked by the person who organises the evening to bring it with me next open mic night, which was the following Wednesday.

Sadly, I was a little disappointed because when I arrived there, I didn't really get a chance to play it much. The host of the evening got up at the end of the night and told everyone that that was the end of the night and she invited anyone who wanted to have a jam session "That means you Steve" as she pointed to me.

So I got up, looking around because you can just sit there on your own playing some Djembe solo for 10 minutes. Well, you can, but you won't be playing to anyone. They'll probably all leave. Plus I'm not that good a player to hold a solo on the drum that long.

So, I had a quick 2 minute jam with a couple of people and that was that. Half hearted, half arsed. I was disappointed. I wasn't leaving until I had a chance to play my Djembe.

As you all know, I did, and I played it with Craig. This guy I met from the acoustic club. Well, in the end he announced a gig he was playing at and invited me along to play with him.

So there I was, the day before, at Craig's place. He played his stuff and I just joined in and made up some rhythm.

The following evening was the gig, and I turned up at The Roxbury. Craig turned up moments later and once it was our turn to play, we went up on stage, set up and got ready.

Everything went really well. I was having so much fun playing music, performing live on stage and having a ball. I was playing music and I wasn't thinking about what note next, who stuffed up just then that I'll have to cover for. Craig is a good player and singer, so even the stuff ups were covered up so I didn't have to. And he covered my stuff ups too.

We worked well as a team and I can't wait till the next gig. My little African Djembe went really well, however, what I really think will go well is a Cajon.


I've seen these around and saw my first one when I went to see a Spanish guitarist play live on stage. His percussionist sat on one and it sounded amazing. It was like a drum kit in a box. I'm either going to buy one, build one or get my handy, woodworking mate to build one for me. Either way. I'm going to have one. I'm gaga over it.

Anyway, I've digressed....

At the end of the gig, I had Craig thank me, and I thanked him. As much as we both worked well on stage, the opportunity was mine. He might have had a great time too, but I just got my drug fix being up on stage and playing to great music.

That's me in the white shirt.

Then I had the sound guy come up to me, and I thanked him for mic'ing me up properly. Trust me, if you sound good at the end of the night, it's worth a million bucks to thank the sound guy for all his hard work twiddling some knobs as it may seem, but I know it's not easy getting unfamiliar performers sounding right.

Then he asked about my Djembe. I told him it's just a cheap Indonesian made African Djembe. He told me he's a Djembe player and we sat and talked about all things percussion for a while. The we had to leave. But none the less, I made yet another contact in the industry and one that is a good sound guy at that. He gave me his business card too.

A great night that ended with me and my big grin. Wife in tow, and I dropped one of my mates off at the nearest train station. My mates from my other band turned up too. So I had some support there.

No matter how well or how poor you play. Or how bad you think you went. When you receive a compliment, it's always nice. It's always a great feeling to know that you sounded right and everyone enjoyed what you did. It's always a great pick-me-up when you receive something like this. It's a boost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds simular to my experience at the slabs.

Good pics and content by the way. nice blog.

Pipsqeek said...

Thanks man.

I was thinking about writing about the gig, then I read your experience with your blog http://www.offgridterlingua.com/1/post/2010/04/another-weekend-at-the-slabs.html and I thought I'd share my recent experience.

It's great to hear that we're both having a good time with some good experiences, similar even. And living half way around the world from each other. Amazing. Well, I find it amazing. But small things amuse small minds.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase