Monday, October 12, 2009

Actually, I hate computers

Over the weekend, a family member said to me, "You love computers, dontcha?"

In actual fact, I don't like them at all. On one hand they make life easy. But a computer without the Internet is pretty useless. I mean, there are some cool applications out there, but really.... No Internet means no fun. Then again, computers have changed the world we live in, significantly. To the point where if you don't use one people will look at you funny. Much like the same way people look at me when I say I don't watch television.

So, if computers are that cool, and I run an IT support business where all I do is use computers, then why do I hate them?

I guess if I really look deep into the hatred, it's not so much computers I hate, just bad ones. And I don't mean ones where a customer rings me to tell me something isn't working, I arrive there and find out it's not plugged in. That's a different kind of loathing. No, what I dislike very much about computers is when they fail for no reason.

Say for example, you turn off your PC once you're finished with it. You go to it later, say the next day to turn it on and nothing happens. As if it is unplugged. You check things, all looks well. But no lights, no fans, no beeps and no love. You think, "Was there an electrical storm last night?" Nope. "Was there a brownout or a blackout?" Nope. Everything else in the house works fine. So what could it be?

Is it that it's just had enough? Perhaps it's that chip inside all electronics components that counts down from the day you bought it and flicks everything off the day after the warranty expires?

All I know is that while I love fixing things that are broken, I'm starting to get over it.

Looking back at my previous posts, it appears that I am mentally ready for a change. I can't wait till my friend gets back from his holiday as there are some musical developments in the pipe that may work out. I'm still working on a webstore that will hopefully get something worth while out of it. I'm crossing my fingers to see what happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey pip, Cant wait to see your store up and running. let us know how your friend does. I just got back and Im trying to catch up.

Pipsqeek said...

Welcome back mate. Hope you had a good trip. I'll be catching up on your blog later this evening. I hope the little truck coped well in the desert.

I'm edging very close to the webstore grand opening.

Anonymous said...

I have to say Im impressed with the rover. The brits and POMS really know what they are doing when it comes to out back vehicles.

Pipsqeek said...

They sure do. I'm pretty sure they keep winning international 4WD of the year, I haven't googled it. Though I suspect they have beaten Toyota with their Landcruiser and Nissan with their Patrol.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase