Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Another one bites the dust

I might have used that title for another blog entry before, though I'm sure the subject itself was totally different.

This morning I met up with a Conveyancer that is part of my networking group I meet with. We all have one on one meetings with each other regularly in order to keep our relationships fresh. Well, today I met with our groups Conveyancer and what an interesting discussion was had. I discovered a few common interests such as our dislike for packaged food. And we also discussed actual business, which is what we're really there for.

However, some of the questions I ask people in our group usually lean more towards what you don't want from your business rather than what you're after. People know what they want, it's often than not they don't know what they don't want. The reason I ask them this is so I can avoid sending them a customer they will hate for the rest of their lives. I only want good clients in my business, so it's only fair they receive the same.

The discussion went on and eventually this person realised something. They didn't want to be doing their job. They just sort of fell into it by way of being handed some work and told to do it, then later in life they had kids, so they went and did what they knew best, the same job. Life went on hold. However, they soon realised that if anything, going back into the industry meant not having a life at all. So they opted out of it all and started to work from home... someone has to pay the bills.

It turns out, this whole time they have just been going with the flow and have ended up here. Questioning their career, their life and their situation.

The story was too familiar.

If anything, it's only motivated me more to keep pushing in the direction I am longing for, rather than just longing for the change to magically appear. It was also a breath of fresh air to meet someone who is going through a similar experience. The other thing that was funny was that we both had similar beliefs, assumptions and issues with the networking organisation we're both in.

I hope she ends up happy with everything she's working hard to achieve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase