Thursday, October 8, 2009

How do people do it?

This has been a question on my mind for a good 5 years.

How do people do it?

I'm not talking about sex. I'm not talking about going to the toilet.

I'm talking about business. I run a pretty ordinary business. I make do with some small amount of money and I'm quite happy making enough to pay the bills and mortgage. Anything extra seems to be excessive despite the fact that I wouldn't mind being a little better well off than I am now.

Then I look at some people I know in business. One person I know comes to mind. Everything he touches seems to turn to gold. And because of this, he's a business broker. He comes in to fix your business so it is ready to sell at a good price. His market is business in the $1M+ market. So I'm pretty much well under the radar. However, he has looked at my business and told me about what needs to do done to succeed in my business, wait for it..... he's told me to abandon IT and look at another option.

The reasons aren't obvious at the start until he later got right into the why's and how's. This I'll leave for another time. But he himself, as a hobby buys and sells businesses.

He finds businesses that are pretty much on their last legs. The owners are frustrated and ready to leave it all behind. He comes in and buys them out. Builds some systems and procedures. Hires a few people and all of a sudden a year later the business has tripled in value. I've seen it with my own eyes. The man has skills.

But what makes him have that total business sense, lack of fear or what appears to be a lack of fear. He just seems to just jump in and get stuck into it. And everything goes his way.

I'm not a jealous person, but he's one person I envy the skills of. Much like how I see things in a different light, often people mistake for negative, I think of al alternative. He's on the other side, laughing at my alternativity (I think I just made that word up) by really hanging off the edge of alternative thinking.

How does he do it? How does he just jump in, get what he wants out of it and get out on a high? I'd love to have 1% of his skill.

Though I will say I think I am on the right track to eventually leaving my IT support business and pursuing other options while still maintaining my passion for fixing things.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase