Thursday, October 8, 2009

Business Networking

I'm part of a business networking organisation. I have been for about nearly 2 years. I won't lie, it has been a great experience. I have learnt a great deal about business in a short time, and have picked up a lot of information that helps me every day from the people in my networking group.

When the group first started, it was nice, fresh and exciting. These days not so much. And in actual fact, the changes being made go slightly against my grain. Why? Well, I'm a pretty easy going guy. I go with the flow. I don't and never have liked rules and regulations. Hence why I had a terrible time at school. However, all these rules and regulations are starting to appear at my network and the sad part is, it's taking the fun out of it.

Now, I run my own business, and if it's not fun then I'm doing it wrong. That's my theory. The day I feel like it's work is the day I throw in the towel. I won't lie, that day is coming closer. There have been times when I've thought about it, and there are other times when I'm not. Though I mostly enjoy my day working on people's computers.

At the moment my business is changing though. I'm not sure if it's the right direction, but I'm taking it where it wants to be. And at the moment, it's leaning away from the current IT service role it provides, into a more interesting online sales type of role.

The competition is fierce, but that didn't stop me starting up my IT support business. One area where I am also about to change is, and I have made my mind up about this already, to abandon my business networking organisation and perhaps go with another one that is a bit more flexible.

It's a bit of a catch 22. If I leave, it's a big part of my business I'm leaving behind. If I stay, I'm unhappy with an inflexible system that doesn't allow my creativity to shine through with other ideas. I did find another organisation that seems to be a bit more suitable for me. It's a bit more upper class, however, it's a bit more flexible and more in line with the ideas of my business model in which my business will be surviving in shortly once I make all the changes.

It's not often that I'm a little frightened or apprehensive about something, but for some reason I am now. Is it because I'm older? Because I have more to lose if I fail? I know I can start again if the proverbial hits the fan, but do I want to? It's frustrating. So frustrating all I can do is laugh about it, hopefully laughing all the way to the bank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have reinvented my self 4 times in my life Im 40 and i think I know what I wanna be when I grow up.

Pipsqeek said...

You plan on growing up? :D

It's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one like that. I grew up around people that were proud to have the same job for their entire life. So I grew up thinking that this was the norm and I was the idiot going against the grain.

I guess that makes me Gen X, mixed with a bit of Gen Y.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase