Monday, October 12, 2009

What are your motives?

Everyone has a reason, a passion, an excuse even for doing something. Sometimes it's something you love. Other times it's something you have to do because that's life and you have to do whatever it is so you can continue living.

Some people are lucky and get to do what they enjoy so they can live. It's usually the more creative people that are this way isn't it?

When you think about it, it's not too often you hear of a passionate accountant who gets their jollies from balancing out the books. You don't see people like a friend of mine enjoying getting down a manhole and scrapping poop off the major sewer lines in preparation for a new cement lining that goes for kilometres.

These people do their jobs because they have to, not because they want to. On the other hand I have a friend who is very handy. He's good with wood. He creates sculptures and does some wood working on the side to make some dough. He enjoys what he does. Though looking at him from the outside, it appears he's just drifting through life. Deep down, he knows exactly what he's doing. Living life and enjoying it.

Now, this friend has very little, in fact no commitments. He can pack up and go somewhere tomorrow and no one will be none the wiser.

I haven't asked him, but if I did ask what his motives are. I would imagine he'd say something along the lines of "I'm living". I know this because he knows he could have been stuck behind a desk in a small air-conditioner room, waiting for the day he dies (I'm painting a rather dreary office picture, paint your own if it's not your ideal office scenario).

At the end of the day, we all do what we do for fulfillment. It doesn't matter what it is, if it fulfills us, then it's good for us. So, what fulfills you? What would you drop everything for? Would you still do it knowing that you may be worse off?

Do you do what you do now only because you have to? Because society say so, because if you don't you'll lose everything you currently have in your possession?

Would it help if your life was less complicated? Are there too many things going on that you look at now and think "How the hell did I manage to put all that on my plate?" What are you motives? What makes you wake up in the morning and be happy that it's another day?

1 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm happy for another day because. . .
My life is simple.
I live in the Chihuahuan Desert.
My family is alive.
My friends accept me for who I am and vice versa.
I live close to Terlingua. Viva Terlingua!
I am myself.
I can learn.
I can laugh.
I don't have a cell phone.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase