Friday, September 12, 2008

Buying "The" car. Now I'm being random

I've been [EDIT: had been] in the new car market for a while, as nothing has really stood out on websites, magazines, papers, dealerships etc.

I first test drove a Citroen C4 2.0L Auto. It was very nice and I have posted about it here. I would have bought it then and there if I had the money at the time. But I was just window shopping. It was comfy, handled very nice, powerful enough engine for the car. The auto worked well. I wanted the 1.6L Diesel. But I didn't get to test drive it at the time.

I then got to test drive a C3 Exclusive 1.6L Auto too. It felt like I was dropped in a bowl of jelly. Handling was good, but it felt like I was sitting on a ball, and every corner included major lean angles in the other direction of the corner. For a 1.6L petrol I found that it lacked power. It also felt a little tight. The engine felt as though it didn't want to rev. I'd put my foot down and it just felt like it was struggling.

I walked away impressed with the C4, possibly something I'll buy. I'll wait for the Diesel test, and apparently a new model is out end of this year maybe? [EDIT: The EGS HDi]

A week later. I test drove a Suzuki Swift. I have to say. As far as great, zippy cars are concerned... this thing would be my everyday car. It was so fun to drive. 1.5L petrol. 5 speed manual. The only single complaint I have about the car is that the interior looked and felt unfinished. I'm a fan of Suzuki motorcycles. I've owned a few. And even they have felt unfinished... but they've always advertised themselves as "race" bred. So that unfinished look maybe has something to do with the image.

Never the less, if I was given $20K to buy a brand spanking new car. I'd get this over anything else in it's price range. It put a smile on your face when you set off from every green light. It's a little Suzuki, it's what they do best.

Next on the list was a Holden Astra Turbo Diesel. Interior felt cheap, really cheap. Engine was noisier then other diesels in the same category. But boy did that engine pull harder then a 16 year old boy in the bathroom with dad's Penthouse magazine. Same torque as the Golf TDI. But it came on in a massive lump of power, then left the same way it came. Fun, if you're a boy racer and wanted a diesel to confuse the local 200SX gang. I still can't get over the actual feel of how hard that thing pulled in almost any gear.

I went around a corner in 3rd at about 30km/h and booted it. It just rocketed off without lag or hesitation, just brutal torque and a slight high pitch spooling up of the turbine attached to the exhaust.

Would I buy one? No.

No Cup holders. Interior was squashy, low quality buttons felt like they'd fall into the dashboard if I pushed it any harder then an infant. It's a Holden. It looks like a Cane Toad. And sadly, that wallop of power was great, but driving 1000kms a week, it'll get old quick.

Next car I test drove was a Golf TDI Comfortline 2.0L. Much better. It was more refined than anything else I have driven so far on this quest for "The" car. It had the same torque figure as the Astra Diesel. But it came on sooner, stayed there longer and faded off after 3,000RPM. I'd pay $3,000 more for the Golf just to have a better feeling car and a Cup holder.

It did everything the Astra did. But better, smoother and quieter.

A week later I went to see what the 307 HDI was like, knowing too well that Peugeot were planning on replacing it with a 308 [Out now]. I sat in one at the dealer in Parramatta. I was disappointed at the lack of leg room for myself. But besides that, I was more disappointed in the lack of foot space. I think the car was designed for le petite fem, because I'd be kneeing myself in the face in order to get my foot out from under the clutch pedal so I can rest my foot on top of the clutch pedal, because there was no where else for me to put it.

After manouvering my legs out of the car. I decided I'd leave because it had been 30 minutes or so and I had yet to be served, let alone seen by a sales person.

I walked over the Citroen since I was in Parramatta. I didn't get any service in the hot weekend sun. I left there feeling disappointed, as I wanted to give the C4 HDI a proper go. Look out for my dealer review.

I walked over to Toyota under the wife's suggestions. I refused to sit in a Corolla. But the wife said my opinion is based on one drive of my mates girlfriend's car. Which was enough for me to decide that Toyota sell the most popular death trap in Australia. If cars like the Golf or C4 can "WOW" me in the first 5 minutes then it's good. If I get out of the car and hail a cab there's a pretty good reason for it.

I went to a Toyota dealership more to humour myself and to see what the fuss over the new Camry and Aurion was about. It seems Toyota were more interested in taking shelter under the marque of their BBQ stand meant for customers to enjoy a cold drink and a free sausage sizzle. I didn't bother going over. I waited long enough for them to come to me.

I left there disappointed and depressed. My wife and I returned to the car, but stopped at VW on the way. Got to test drive the Golf again. But this time I also got to fulfill my curiosity and test drove a Polo TDI.

I have to say... I prefer the Polo over the Golf. I can't justify the $10K price premium on the Golf for a little bit more room, an extra cog in the gearbox, 2.0L engine instead of a 1.9L... which I know are significantly better. The 2L has 320Nm of torque, the 1.9L has 240Nm.... and a larger trip computer screen on the Golf.

I know that in the end I'd be starring at my dash on the Polo and thinking.. I could have had all that extra for not a lot more. But do I really need that? Would I want to sacrifice an extra gear, boot space and a fancy LCD screen for a fun car? Truth is, you wouldn't. But you can't help but look at your car 6 months later and tell yourself you should have worked a little harder and got the more expensive model. At this stage it's hard to say if I like the Golf or the Polo more though. Both are good cars. Not fantastic, but just about the top of the heap.

I liked being in the C4. But I feel that the dashboard is trying too hard. It's like when people redesign something "futuristic". Watch Back to the Future and see what people 20 years ago thought cars would look like in the year 2000+

Though I'm not going to let that stop me trying it out.

SteveC

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase