Thursday, September 11, 2008

Citroen C3 and C4.... a little bit of VW Polo, Megane, 307, Swift etc.

A while ago, I test drove a whole bunch of cars.



Here's what I thought.

The C3 was nicer the second time around. Maybe it's grown on me. Maybe it's because I drove it first this time around, instead of the C4 first like I did last time.

Here's the story on both models.

The C3 was comfy. High seat. It handled and performed better then it did previously. It was nice to drive in the rain. Very confidence inspiring. I think power was still quit dismal from a modern 1.6L petrol engine. And from 50% to 100% throttle, there was no change in acceleration. Up a hill was slightly painful, but kinda acceptable in a small car. After all, cars in this bracket are more for city commutes rather than highway cruising.

Putting the auto in manual mode was acceptable. I still believe the Italians have it better in relation to the gear up/down direction. I like how you pull the lever to gear up, and push it towards the front of the car to gear down. That's a much more natural feeling to me. So I found myself constantly gearing up when I wanted to gear down, and visa-versa. Probably something I'd grow use to. But it's unnatural either way. Maybe it's all those Flight sims I play. Maybe I'm just Italian and fit Italian cars better. Uh um, Ferrari, if you're listening, I'd really like to evaluate one of your cars. Any model will be fine. As long as it's red.

The C3 wasn't wife friendly. "Too clostrophobic" she said. Which I will admit, is rather cosy, but my Double XL frame and 6'4" height shoe horned nicely in there.

The C3's handling is typical Citroen. Very smooth, very disconnected from the road. But very comfortable, with the expected overly exaggerated body roll when cornering at any speed. Citroen has never been about sport, so the suspension fit the bill.

The steering was light. Too light for myself, but I could see the merit of it's use for tight inner city driving. Parking was a breeze with it the over assisted steering, the brilliant unobstructed view from all windows was a welcome feature with so many modern cars having you sitting in the seat rather than on it.

The boot was surprisingly large. With the rear seats down, obviously it was larger still. I would imagine a medium sized pram would have fit in the boot.

All in all, a great little city car.



Into the C4. Automatically there is way more room. You sit lower down. I liked how quiet it was inside. I liked how comfy I was. I could fall asleep in there. The wife didn't like this car either. But she couldn't think of why.

With that comfy Citroen handling still present, the C4 wasn't aimed at the same customer that would be looking at Peugeot 207 GTI's. But it was firmer than the C3's and felt better assembled. Over typical Sydney roads there were a few crashes from the rear suspension though and I was reminded that only the premuim cars in Citroen's range continue with the pnuematic suspension system. The C3 and C4 use conventional spings and shock absorbers. Citroen say they have developed them enough to be comparable, but I'm not so convinced it works the same when driving down Parramatta Road.

That's the good bits. Here are the things I didn't like with the HDi. The Polo engine goes better. I know that they are just about similar on paper. But the VW Polo 1.9L TDI seems to just be more zippy. It had more pull, it felt stronger. It liked being revved more. Not that it needed to be. But it could rev if you wanted it to. Admitedly the C4 had 148~ kms on it. So it would have been tighter then a rusty bolt. But the Polo had just on 950~ kms. So the engine has had a chance to losen up a bit.

I know it's been mentioned that the C4's engine is a lot newer technology then the Polo. But I'm not after technology. I'm after what feels better. What goes better. What's cheaper to run in the long run. What's going to be more fun to drive. And in the end something new doesn't mean better. Holden's Monaro CV8 has a great engine. The design is about 175 years old. Does it matter when you plant your foot? No.

I'm a little sad this afternoon after test driving the C4 HDi. I was expecting a better car then the Polo and Golf.... Looks like my love of French cars is stuck in the early 90's and works it's way back to the 60's. Now that I've driven every car except a Focus (which I don't want to based on the customer service I get to even buy the damned thing). I hate to say it but the Polo and Golf are leading the way in my new car purchase decision.

My timing couldn't be worse, as I have waited nearly a year for Renault to send over the updated Clio to Australia. [EDIT: This car is available now]. The Megané is too small on the inside for me. Senic is too Family for me just yet. Maybe the next car... depending on how I find the C4 Picasso in the near future and depending on how many kids I have by then.

307 HDI disappointed me with all the pedals shoved in the left hand corner of the footwell. All other pugs are either too small, or the other way on the scale is too expensive. The 308 is out now, but I haven't test driven it yet. Look out for that some time in the future.

Suzuki Swift was fun, but unfinished. I want some luxury. I'd rather sit in my 405 with it's messed up interior from the robbery then sit in a Swift. Though the car itself was fabulous otherwise. If I was in the market for a Yariswiftiida, I'd take the Swift. It looks the best and goes quite well. Suzuki does small cars well. The swift is no exception. A big consideration, but find a good dealer and get yourself a bargain.

I refuse to look at Honda's or Mitsubishi's. The former being over engineered PITA's (I've worked on their cars and bikes over the years in the trade, I don't know how Honda motorcycle mechanics keep their sanity). Mitsubishi's... hmm, everyone I've ever known with one has had catastrphic issues bordering life threatening. Look out for a review of the new Lancer later on.

Toyota's were as boring as watching grass grow in the dark. They really haven't made an exciting car since... well, never. If you count the MR2 and the Supra as anything to think about, they don't ever make them anymore. Yet Nissan still makes the GTR. I think that says something about the Toyota brand as a performance marquee.

The missus didn't like any of the Mazda's. Personally I like 1960-70's Rotary Mazda's. That's where it stops. But I have yet to drive their new offerings, 2,3,6. etc.

So. Conclusion. Sadly.... is.... Citroen is a great car, great value and gives you that luxury feel witout the luxury price tag. In my opinion they are the better car in today's current market for new small to medium hatchbacks.

SteveC

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase