Friday, September 12, 2008

Not so fast!

Today was a relatively easy day..... if you ask my calendar. I really had two things booked and that was pretty much it. But for some bizzare reason I was absolutely flat chat all day. It was as if time was creeping ahead of me and before I knew it had to be somewhere 15 minutes ago.

Luckily I wasn't late for anything today. Though I seemed to have forgotten a lot of things. I forgot my external hard drive, my music, my diary and my contacts. I forgot my brain too. Left the soggy mass sitting on the couch near my laptop.

But otherwise, it was an alright day. I had the opportunity to have a nice meeting with a new customer. We got to know each other and later on, I got to know about their network and their issues. Basically, there isn't anything too much an issue for me to fix. So I sent them a quote for all the work I propose in doing. I hope they're happy with it.

And somewhere in all that is a new server for them. They currently have all their files spread across the network on each desktop computer. Basically, my worst nightmare.

So, new Linux server for network file storage, easy backups and recoveries. Also, I want to control their mail better, so they'll be getting a proper mail server running, and I am hoping on this last thing..... They have an ACT! Database, and I am totally unsure how this works. Someone I spoke to said it's just a file that can sit anywhere really. I'm hoping this is the case, because this way, the file can just sit in a shared network directory and BOOM! Everyone can access it.

If ACT! needs to be running on the server, I'm thinking I might install Xen or something, place Windows in the Virtual Machine and run ACT! via that. :)

I've been told by the Linux Brains Trust (the guru's at OCAU) that this is a very good alternative. Basically I'll run nightly snapshots of the Winbox as a recovery point. Then have rsync back it all up to a couple of external hard drives that alternate each day and are taken home.... daily.

I had my first real visit back at Vision Personal Trainers. Man, it was tough. I was (and still am) stuffed after todays workout. But I'm hoping it pays off. I have sa far lost about 16 kilograms and I have another one of those to go before I am satisfied. Though not quite finished. I want to lose more after that and be a "thin" person for once in my life, then I can put back some weight to be a bit "healthy", whatever that means these days.

Tune in tomorrow for more updates, and another car review.

pips

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase