Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Peugeot 307 and a couple of Hyundai's

With all the fuss about Hyundai getting into gear and making some good cars now, the wife and I popped into the dealer today for a look. I think the Santa Fe looks the best out of all the SUV's out there. At least the new model does. The old one looked like it was already in an accident.

So I had a look at the Santa Fe and the Tucson as I need something I can cart my music gear in as well as my mountain bike(s).

Having that need, my car choice is limited. I need a wagon style body. The hatch backs I have been looking at for the last 6 months are just not adequate for my lifestyle and my needs.

So we stepped into the Tucson first. Not as roomy as it appeared to me (keeping in mind that I am a heavy weight. But it was comfy to sit in. The dealer was really friendly. Very friendly but not being weird :p He acknowledged the wife's existence too. Amazing!

So, he grabbed my license and a trade plate and got me to drive the car immediately. Most other dealers drive the car up the road first, then make you swap over. I was immediately surprised at the low down grunt of the 2L 4cyl engine. It has a 5 speed gearbox. The dash was set out very nicely. The instrument cluster was small, but all the important bits were where they needed to be.

The gearbox was silky smooth. It went into reverse from a dead cold engine without a crunch. It changed gears very positively. The gear ratios were well thought out. Though it was late in the afternoon, so I didn't want to leave the poor sales guy working overtime on Sunday.

The handling.... well... It wasn't even half a 307. But that isn't the market. The ride however was smooth, very quiet and expected from a vehicle of that ride height. Brilliant, and dare I say, better than the Japs.

Coming out of a steep driveway at an angle I was expecting some body creaking..... there was none as I exited the driveway of the dealership. There was no body flex at all that I could tell.

Returning to the dealer, we started to talk about the Santa Fe. 5 minutes later we were on the same route we just drove on, but in a Turbo Diesel. Everything was better it the Santa Fe compared to the Tucson. After all, it is a higher grade car.

The ride quality was better. The comfort was more comfy. The seats were better. The entire car was more roomy.... and I could use as much room as I can. The dash was much nicer but the faux wood looks crap.... can I deal with that? Not sure. The instrument cluster was more modern. It had the blue LED lights with the red needles.

Both cars had great air con. The buttons on the dashboard were up there with the Mazda 2 and 6 I drove a couple of months ago, very high quality and tactile. They were large but not spaz sized and you felt them work when you pressed them. Very different to the Golf where the buttons, although hard finish, felt like they were mounted in a gummy bear.

The same can't be said about the steering wheel buttons. They were tactile but I expected them to fall inside the steering wheel when I pressed them. They felt very flimsy. It made the car feel cheap instantly.

A couple of things I liked about both cars were towards the rear. The back seats folded flat in both cars. They didn't involve stupid tricks, removing headrests, pressing buttons while trying to hold the seat belt out of the way at the same time. They did recline, so rear passengers don't have to sit bolt upright, just like in the 2. There was no fuss. The seven seater Santa Fe third row seating folds flush with the floor and the fold out quicker that pulling up your zip. Access to the third row is just as easy as getting into the back of a Honda Civic hatch. Having no particular need for the 6th and 7th seat, I didn't really feel a need to pay for them if I were to buy the Santa Fe. But it was nice that they could be folded away, out of sight.

One gripe I have with the Santa Fe is that stupid rear door handle (the one for the hatch). Most cars have a button or small handle tucked away near the rear number plate lights. Although the handle works well, and I'm generally a function over form man, this ruined the otherwise pleasant lines of the car.

And speaking of lines. I have to admit, Hyundai have never been know to make great looking cars. But Have a look at the offering... X-trail, old looking design with an older interior. Rav4, It's a Toyota. Kluger, you're an accountant and just gave yourself a pay increase. Captiva, I know someone who has one and loves it, but it is butt fugly. The Ford Territory, it just looks like a plain cardboard box. In my opinion the Santa Fe is the best looking SUV on the market. The Tucson doesn't look as nice. But it was more fun to drive and a little smaller. therefore comes with better economy as well as servicing costs.

In all honesty, this car fits the bill for me and my lifestyle. With tight arse Tuesday servicing fees, 5 years of warranty, unlimited kilometres and a brand that appears to be performing very well in customer surveys. they are up there for reliability. It is a turn of tides on that crappy Korean company.

Thanks for reading (excuse any typos, I've been using a Dvorak keyboard for the last week).

P.S I forgot to write about the 307 I hired when I was in Tasmania for two weeks, after all that.... GOSH! IT WAS GREAT! Couldn't fault it.

Steve

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase