Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Renault Megane

Had a busy day today. I went and saw a client, met up with some old workmates for lunch at Una's in Ultimo. Then on the way home... which I love because it means invoice time, which means pay day! I stopped over at the Renault dealer on Gardner's Rd in Alexandria.

First off, I just wanted to say that I liked the dealer. I wasn't pressured into anything, but was asked nicely of my intentions and future plans.

Secondly, I was allowed to take the car on a long test drive. Some dealers I've been to literally want you to take it around the block and return the car. I usually make a point of saying, "Geez. If I had spent a few more minutes on that drive you might have closed the deal. But thanks for your time anyway." and walk away.

The car in the spotlight today is the Renault Megané Hatch (6 speed manual). I have said in the past to my mates that I couldn't even physically fit in one. That statement still rings somewhat true. I adjusted the seat properly and had okay headroom. No more or less than the dismal offering from the 405 in the driveway.

It was cosy, that's for sure. So here's the rundown:

I get in and imediately have to adjust the seat down and back all the way. Get in trying not to bash my head into the roof. BANG! CRAP! Did it again.

I reach for the seatbelt, fine.... then I try to bury it into somewhere between the storage compartment and seat.... Looking like I'm fondling my buttcheeks, I get the clip in..... the belt retention device.

Adjust the mirrors, I notice I get good view around the car but the pillars between the front and rear doors are huge and block out everything. Much the same as the 307 I drove around Tassie, bar the pillars. Keep in mind that to me the 307 has been my benchmark as I drove it extensively from mild traffic to some Targa courses pointed out by my Tasmanian friend.

And we're off. Out around the back streets or Rosebury. Towards the Airport and over some nasty bumps that I would normally clench my butt cheeks going over them in the Ford Foulcan. The Megané didn't flinch. Some more bumps and I nailed the throttle around a slight left hand bend to see if it upset it at all. It was negligible, but I think the dealer was getting a little anxious. I carried on to my own song.

On to Southern Cross Drive. Nailed it again. hitting about something00such km/h and getting into 6th. It was odd. Like I lost my bearings of where the stick was... being in 6th... I've never driven a car with more than 5 manual gears. Back to 5th, mentally thinking of how refined, smooth and quiet it was. Wishing the 307 I had for a week in Tassie was as refined. But I wished the Megane had the comfort and an extra inch of space in every direction.

Getting off the main road, I had to make a sharp left. I geared down, slowed a little, heal and toed down to second and took the near 35km/h hairpin easily.... so easily that it was a blur. Carried on gently around the 40 and 50km/h back streets of Rosebury and got back to the dealer 30 minutes later.

We talked, bullshitted and carried on about other cars. I walked away having something to think about.

Driving around in traffic was easy. Taking that 30km/h hairpin was easy, but I can't say it was pleasant. Something was not right about the steering and it's okay at speed, but too over assisted when driving slow (20-60km/h). I like a bit of weight in the steering wheel. Even my Foulcan's steering felt better in comparison (An unfortunate fact, I think).

The brakes were fantastic. I felt they were a little spongy at first. But while driving gave good feedback and feel. They bit in hard and stayed on strong. My rigorous driving didn't produce any fade, but then again I didn't push it to the limit on the street.

It almost started to rain, but I didn't get to see if the rain sensing wipers worked. Though it was quite dark due to storm clouds, the "auto" lights didn't turn on. Not dark enough for them, obviously. I'm sure the wires were connected on the production line, but I just wanted to experience the novelty.

One thing I tend to comment on in all my posts so far has been seat comfort. Besides my struggle to fit in this car, damn me and my big bones! I felt like I was riding on top of the seat rather than in it. The 307's seats were more "bucket!" than stool. The Megané seats were more like I was on a bar stool. Still better than the Ford Focus seats (Like sitting on a swiss ball). Though with the Megané, I took corners in some spectacular fashion and seemed to stay gripped in my seat. So they appear to work well even though they don't feel just right... maybe something to get use to if I buy one.

I thought the steering wheel looked and felt cheap. Like they used Proton plastics laminated over a hoop. This didn't affect the steering performance itself, but much like my theory on a lot of thing we as humans touch, I believe things like buttons on a dash, steering wheels, gear knobs should be made of super high quality. These are the things that you're interacting with in the car, make them feel nice!

I couldn't see the instrument cluster through the steering wheel. I adjusted the wheel all the way up, which made it comfy for my arms, but it still obstructed the view or the vitals like speed and revs. It was like riding a motorcycle all over again, they never make the mirrors wide enough, so you get views of your elbows.

Speaking of views... Those huge pillars between the front and rear doors are terrible. I did headchecks at ever lane change or merge into traffic and all I was greated with was a big dark wall. Had to poke my head out the window... BANG! OUCH! hit my head on the roof again. Crap! GO GO GO! Into Sydney traffic... peak hour is starting.

It's a good car. One of the most refined I've driven. But I'm not sure I can live with not seeing the speedo, not seeing cars in my "blind" spot, hitting my head getting in and out of the car. Having to reach for the ground to put my seatbelt in to the latch. I think the 307 stands out more because it fits me, or rather, I fit it. I can see the display and out the sides. I think the Megané was smoother, quieter and a cut above all else I've been in so far. Too bad it's still too small for me. If only I had the refinement of the Megané in the package of the 307. I'd be signing a piece of paper now.

Steve

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 kasplode. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Blogger Showcase